Introducing an Expanded Packaging Service for Specialty Products
Brian Kunz, Director, Commercial Packaging Thermo Fisher Scientific
Shawn Regits, Manager Process Engineering, Allentown PA, Thermo Fisher Scientific
Lloyd Norris, Secondary Packaging Manager, Horsham UK, Thermo Fisher Scientific
Developing a specialty drug for a complex or rare disease is an achievement worthy of celebration. Many manufacturers must then contend with another challenge, however – that of ensuring that an uninterrupted supply of their small-volume treatment reaches patients once the drug enters the market.
Recently, several of our clinical packaging clients asked us to help them take the next step of bringing their small products to the commercial market. We appreciate their confidence in us and we listened.
That’s why we’re pleased to announce the expansion of our commercial packaging service to include Small-Volume capabilities. This expanded service leverages our expertise in clinical and large-scale packaging to provide an end-to-end packaging solution for companies with specialty products.
Small-Volume Commercial Packaging enables specialty drug makers to smoothly transition from clinical to commercial packaging. If your company markets or is planning to market specialty drugs, here’s what you’ll want to know about this service:
- Designed with your products and needs in mind, Small-Volume Commercial Packaging handles projects that range in size from tens of thousands of drug doses to as many as five million doses per year.
- The service is located on both sides of the pond, at our U.S. site in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and at our Horsham site in the UK. These facilities are equipped with manual and semi-automated packaging capabilities, making it possible to alternate between both methods as necessary for maximum flexibility.
- By emphasizing flexibility, adaptability and customization, this white-glove service is well-suited to handle complex and bespoke packaging jobs. Our focus is on providing the attention to detail that packaging specialty products demands.
- A dedicated team of packaging professionals operates the service, including a global network of engineers with expertise in packaging, label design and serialization. Already they are demonstrating their ability to help clients identify and execute innovative solutions to packaging dilemmas.
- Finally, Small-Volume Commercial Packaging allows clients to leverage the buying and relationship experience of Thermo Fisher Scientific and Patheon, our contract development and manufacturing organization. Together we form a global network of packaging and supply chain expertise with more than 30 years of experience in delivering solutions our pharma clients need.
To learn more about Small-Volume Commercial Packaging, please read our eBook, “SMOOTH TRANSITION: What Specialty Drug manufacturers Should Know About Bridging the Gap from Clinical-to-Commercial Packaging”. The e-Book discusses the challenges associated with packaging specialty products and the benefits of a packaging service designed especially for them. Finally, it contains recommendations about choosing a supply partner for this service.